Tuesday, January 10, 2012

What is Lovely?

What is lovely? In 1 Philippians 4: 8, it says, "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praise-worthy, meditate on these things."
This verse is one of my life verses and favorite verse. It is a constant reminder to me to consider what I am meditating on throughout the day and through other things. What friends or piers are we hanging around with? Do they qualify according to this verse in Philippians? What books are we reading or movie are we watching? Satan can even come in sneaky ways and make us think that what we are wanting to do or who we are wanting to hang out with, is okay. But we need to make our standards and convictions on the Lord and His word, and not by what we feel or want to do. Sometimes, I find myself falling into that pit. Let me ask a question, are we making our own convictions and living by them or are we just following our parents instructions? There was a point in my life where I was just doing what my parents expected from me, and I didn’t realize that I was not setting my own standards. Then my parents brought something to my attention one night about setting my own convictions and not just following theirs. From that ngiht on, I have been making my own convictions as well with following my parents.
Back to the passage above, this scripture verse reminds me how easily certain thoughts creep in our minds and what do we do? Most of the time, we entertain that thought instead of peircing it with the sword of God’s word. How can we peirce wrong thoughts? By memorizing God’s word and using those scriptures to capture that thought. Let’s not give Satan the victory in our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment